Eating healthy doesn’t have to be tasteless and leave you hungry with a grumbling stomach. This lasagna is everything but that! Growing up, lasagna was a meal staple in our household and over the years it has turned into a comfort food. As I’ve gotten old my food allergies have increased so I wanted to find a way to enjoy lasagna without gluten and dairy that was nutritionally full. In comes this sweet potato lasagna. I’ve seen similar ones before but decided to make it over to fit my needs and meal goals.
For those of us who are conscious of your eating and staying fit, this is the perfect pre or post workout meal! It is loaded with protein and carbs to help fuel you through your workout or get those gains! Here is the nutritional content per serving
Saturated fat- 4.5g
Plus it is loaded with vitamin A, vitamin C, and potassium.
So lets get to it!
- Sweet potatoes
- Ground turkey (2 packages)
- Crushed tomatoes (1 large 32 ounce can)
- Sun dried tomato goat cheese (6 ounces= 1.5 containers- I love the Aldis brand pictured above. Day cheese can also be used)
- Regular goat cheese (4 ounces-1 container again Aldis)
- Fennel seed (2 tbsp)
- Oregano (1 tbsp)
- Garlic and Herb Mrs. Dash (1 tbsp)
- Explore Cuisine lentil lasagna noodles (1 box-Aldis, Walmart, Whole Foods)
- 2 bags of spinach
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Garlic (2 gloves)
- 9×12 pan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put slices in sweet potatoes and cook until soft. I do mine in the microwave for 12 minutes.
- Add spinach to a sauce pan and cover until wilted. Start with enough to fill pan and add more as spinach softens. Drain any extra liquid and put aside.
- While potatoes and spinach are cooking, add olive oil to a saucepan on medium heat and sauté garlic.
- Add in meat along with fennel seed, oregano, Mrs. Dash, salt and pepper. Cook meat until browned and then pour the crushed tomatoes on top.
- After potatoes are done, peel off the skin and mash them. Add in the entire container of goat cheese.
Next begins the layering!
- Start with the meat layer first. Put down enough meat to cover the bottom of the pan and place enough noodles to cover this layer. This will be about 5 noodles. Next spread half of the sweet potatoes and top with spinach followed by another 1/3 of the meat sauce. Sprinkle with the tomato basil goat cheese and start your next noodle layer. Top with remaining sweet potato mixture and the rest of the meat sauce. Sprinkle with more tomato basil goat cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Take off the foil and keep it in for another 10-15 minutes or until the top is crisp. Let it cool for 10 minutes before cutting.