These lemon zucchini muffins are what summers are made of! My parents always have an abundance of zucchini in their garden so I wanted to come up with an easy recipe using them. The best part is they are made of clean ingredients so there is no guilt and they are the perfect way to start your day. Lemon is the perfect kitchen staple for summer and it gives these lemon zucchini muffins a fresh zesty flavor. These muffins are more along the lines of cupcakes in that they are moist and the perfect amount of sweet. Zucchini is composed of the perfect amount of water to give the recipe extra moisture.
This recipe is super easy to throw together and is the perfect breakfast, on the go snack, or delicious dessert. The lemon zucchini muffins ingredients are clean, gluten free, dairy free, and no sugar added so they work for almost everyone! I used a mix of different gluten free flours and I couldn’t be happier with the results. You would never guess they are gluten free. Gluten free products can, at times, leave baked goods gritty and crumbly but it’s definitely not the case with these lemon zucchini muffins. Bob’s Red Mill is my favorite gluten free flours and I used the Oat Flour and 1-1 Baking Flour.
You could easily make this into cake using an 8×8 pan. The temperature can remain the same but you will need to adjust the time. I would check it at 25 minutes and see if its still gooey. It may need up to 35 minutes. I haven’t tried it in the pan but will update once I have!
I used maple syrup as a sweetener in this recipe but feel free to use the sweetener of your choice. Honey is another great natural sweetener. The glaze is optional but is the perfect way to bring home the lemon flavor.
Lemon Zucchini Muffins (Gluten free + Dairy free)
- Food Processor
- Muffin Pan
- 1 1/2 cups Zucchini
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Oat Flour
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Baking Flour
- 1/4 cup Coconut Butter melted
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 cup Coconut Milk
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup or sweetener of choice
- 2 1/2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon optional
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 lemon zested
- 2 tbsp Coconut Butter
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Farenheit.
- With the skin left on, grate zucchinni. Food processor works great for finely dicing. I was able to get 1 1/2 cups out of a medium sized zucchini.
- Use a paper towel to blot extra moisture from zucchini.
- In a medium bowl, combine both types of flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Put aside.
- In another bowl mix together the eggs, oil, maple syrup, milk, and lemon juice
- Slowly add in your medium bowl with the flour mixture. Don't over stir.
- Fold in the shredded zucchini.
- Spray muffin tins and fill with batter.
- Place in oven for 12-15 minutes or when tops are golden brown.
- While the muffins are cooking, combine coconut butter at room temperature with lemon, sweetener and zest.
- If the glaze becomes too runny, place in the refrigerator for it to firm up.
- Powdered sugar can also be used to thicken.
- Place glaze on muffins that are slightly cooled.
- Allow the glaze to cool and set.